5 Ways to Build Strong Bones for Your Children
Every parent desires the best for their child's health, and building strong bones during childhood lays the foundation for a lifetime of optimal bone health. The bone-building process is at its peak during the early years, making it a crucial period to ensure children get the right nutrients and activities.
Here are five top ways to set your child on the path to strong bones.
1. Ensure a Calcium-Rich Diet
Calcium is the cornerstone of strong bones. Children's growing bodies demand a regular and abundant supply. Include calcium-rich foods such as:
- Milk and dairy products like yoghurt and cheese
- Green leafy vegetables like kale and broccoli
- Almonds and sesame seeds
- Fish with edible bones, such as sardines and salmon
2. Don't Forget Vitamin D
Vitamin D works hand in hand with calcium to support bone health. It aids in calcium absorption in the gut. To ensure an adequate intake:
- Encourage outdoor play for natural sunlight exposure
- Include vitamin D fortified foods like cereals and orange juice
- Consider supplements, especially during winter or for children with limited sun exposure. We recommend Baba West Junior Vitamin D Spray for children 3 years and up. One spray provides the government recommended daily dose of 400iu (10μg) in a delicious natural strawberry flavour.
3. Prioritise Physical Activity
Weight-bearing exercises are fantastic for bone strength. Encouraging children to engage in activities like:
- Playing sports like football or netball
can aid significantly in promoting bone density.
4. Limit Sugary Beverages and Snacks
Excessive consumption of sugary drinks, like sodas, can interfere with calcium absorption. Teach children the importance of moderation and offer healthier alternatives like water, milk, or fresh fruit juices.
5. Regular Health Check-ups
Regular health check-ups allow for early detection of any bone health issues. Ensure your child gets the necessary screenings and consult your paediatrician about any bone health concerns.
Building strong bones in childhood is a proactive step towards safeguarding your child's health in the future. By following these tips and fostering healthy habits, you can set the stage for optimal bone health in your child's adult years.