NHS Recommendations for Supporting Your Child's Immune Health
This winter, there are a number of steps you can take to support your child's immune health. The NHS recommends various strategies, including the use of children's multivitamins, to keep your little ones resilient against seasonal illnesses.
NHS on Vitamins for Children
The government recommends all children aged 6 months to 5 years are given vitamin supplements containing vitamins A, C, and D every day. These essential vitamins play a crucial role in maintaining a strong immune system:
- Vitamin A: Supports the growth and development of immune cells and helps maintain healthy skin and mucous membranes.
- Vitamin C: Acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage, and is essential for the production of collagen, which aids in wound healing.
- Vitamin D: Helps regulate the immune system and is vital for calcium absorption and bone health.
For those looking for premium supplements for supporting their child's immune health, we recommend the following:
- Baba West Multivitamin & Multibiotic: This delicious natural powder formulation contains Vitamins A, C and D, as well as 10 further essential nutrients to support your child. This has been complemented with 12.5 billion friendly bacteria to support their gut health. With 70% of our immune system located in the gut, supporting your child's gut health is crucial for supporting their immune health.
- Baba West Alpine Elderberry & Rosehip: Our combination of natural Alpine Elderberry, Blackberry and Rosehip is packed full of antioxidants and vitamins. Plus, with extra Vitamin C, it helps to support the normal functioning of the immune system in each delicious dose. Plus nearly 50% less sugar that other popular elderberry syrup brands.
- Baba West Vitamin D Spray: Each spray of this strawberry flavoured vitamin D formulation contains the NHS recommended 400iu dose of vitamin D and is sugar free!
NHS Recommendations For Babies
Babies who consume more than 500ml (about a pint) of infant formula a day should not be given vitamin supplements. This is because formula is fortified with vitamins A, C, and D, along with other essential nutrients.
For breastfed babies, it is crucial to provide a daily vitamin D supplement from birth, regardless of whether the mother is taking a vitamin D supplement herself. This helps ensure that your baby gets the necessary nutrients for healthy development. We recommend our Infant Vitamin D Drops, which are suitable from birth to 3 years old, and specifically formulated to support infants.
Other Immune-Boosting Recommendations
In addition to vitamins, there are several other strategies to enhance your child's immune system and keep them healthy during the winter months:
- Healthy Diet: Encourage your child to consume a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. These foods provide essential nutrients and antioxidants that support immunity.
- Regular Exercise: Ensure your child engages in physical activity regularly. Exercise helps boost the immune system and keeps them fit and active.
- Proper Hygiene: Teach your child good handwashing habits and hygiene practices to reduce the risk of infections.
- Adequate Sleep: Ensure your child gets enough sleep as it is crucial for a healthy immune system. Establish a bedtime routine to promote restful sleep.
- Stress Management: Help your child manage stress through relaxation techniques and activities they enjoy. Chronic stress can weaken the immune system.
By following these NHS recommendations and incorporating a well-rounded approach to your child's health, you can help strengthen their immune system and keep them protected during the winter season.